I started writing my blog for fun and because I was curious. I really had no idea where I was going or how it would be received. So it’s an honor to be given the Liebster Award. A sincere thanks to Lee, who writes at http://atypicalamateur.com/ for nominating me. I’ve enjoyed reading his blog. If you like reading from a father’s perspective by someone who writes both with humor and seriousness, I think you’ll like it too. The Liebster Award is given in recognition of a good blog yet to earn 200 followers. The origins of the award of the award are a bit of a mystery, and the acceptance rules have changed over time. (I provided a complete set as I understand them below). One thing that has remained constant is that the Liebster Award is a great way to discover new blogs. Now, without further ado, in accepting the Liebster Award, I present my answers to Lee’s questions.
Questions posed to me
1, If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
Batman is my favorite superhero. But I’d have to go with Superman and all his cool powers. The flying would be awesome (if I didn’t get motion sick), what guy would turn down x-ray vision, and I’d always be able to handle those hard-to-open bottles.
2. What is your current favorite book and why?
This is a tough one for me. I currently teach marketing, so I’m constantly reading books on the subject. But I hate to pick one of those as my favorite. So I’ll step back to some of my days in English class and say Huckleberry Finn. I never get tired of reading.
3. Dog, cat, or other? Why?
I’d prefer a dog because they’re friendly and fun to play with. You know, Man’s Best Friend. However, because of our circumstances – single dad with kids, and no fenced-in yard, we have a cat. But only because my son really wanted a pet.
4. Animal, vegetable, or mineral? Why?
I’ll say animal. My son loves the cat and has embraced all the responsibilities that go along with it. And, I’ve come to kinda, sorta like the cat, too. (But please don’t tell anyone.)
5. Men: what style of facial hair do you prefer to wear and why? Women, what style do you prefer to see and why?
I prefer a smooth face, because . . . well . . . because, you see, I can’t really grow any real facial hair. (Again, please don’t tell anyone.) As far as what women prefer on me, it’s definitely smooth, because when I try to grow something, it ain’t too pretty.
6. Do you bike, run, or swim regularly often? If so, what one tip would you offer someone considering starting? If not, why not?
I enjoy running, and will be taking part in a half marathon in just three more weeks. The one tip I would give is to start slowly, and build up slowly. I’ve seen a lot of people try to start too fast, and they either end up injured or frustrated because their legs feel tired. My second, one tip would be this: don’t become frustrated. Stick with it, give it time. You’ll be surprised at how much you can improve in just two months.
7. Are you tired of being asked why as part of every question?
I have a very curious 10-year-old son. I didn’t realize there were any questions without the word “why” in them.
8. You have been selected for a slot on a reality TV competition. Which show is it? What do you think your chances are of winning the top prize?
I would choose The Pitch that used to air on AMC, which matched ad agencies trying to “win” an account with a major company. I actually love advertising and marketing, and I would love to be a part of a creative project like that. I feel pretty confident in my creative abilities, but as far as winning? Eh, it would be a longshot.
9. Which teacher in grades Kindergarten through 12 has made the biggest impact on your life and why?
I had a lot of really good teachers while growing up, but I would have to pick my fifth grade teacher when I was attending school in San Diego. He was the first teacher I had at that time who treated his students more like high school students rather than middle school kids. He always encouraged (or demanded) that his students think for themselves and solve problems. He had a unique teaching style. He was also a fitness and workout fanatic. and from time to time would demonstrate something for us. For instance, one time he blew up a hot water bag (much like a balloon) until it burst. Another time, he used his hands to tear the San Diego phone book (which was several inches thick) in half.
10. What do you estimate your life expectancy to be? How did you arrive at that figure?
I’m shooting for 100. I’m in good health and exercise regularly. And sometimes I almost eat right.
Bonus: Find a writing utensil and something to write on. Write, “The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.” Now write the same sentence with your other hand. Post a picture of your handiwork.
I’m right-handed and have terrible handwriting. Here’s what mine looks like. My right-hand writing is on top.
These are my . listed alphabetically, for the Liebster Award. I hope you’ll take some time to visit and enjoy each of them. I think you’ll enjoy each.
Questions for my nominees
- What is your favorite day of the week and why?
- If you enjoy exercise or playing a sport, what is your favorite and why?
- What is the highest score you’ve ever made in bowling?
- It’s a rainy Sunday afternoon. What would you enjoy doing? Why?
- What’s your favorite breakfast food?
- What is your favorite junk food?
- Why did you decide to start blogging and what do you hope people take away from reading your blog?
- If you were going on vacation, where would you go and why?
- If you have one, what’s your favorite sport to watch on TV?
- What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen? Why did you think it was so bad?
- Bonus Question: If you are married or dating someone, how did you meet?
Rules for accepting the Liebster Award
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their Liebster Award blog post.
- Answer the ten questions given to you by the person who nominated you. Bonus questions are optional.
- Nominate five to ten of your favorite blogs with fewer than 200 followers. Provide a link to each, and notify them their nomination.
- List ten new questions for your nominees to answer. You may include more than ten questions, marked as bonus questions, but remember your nominees only need answer your first ten.
- Include the acceptance rules in your post, so your nominees know what to do.